Tuesday, December 8, 2015

History of Vung tau city - Tourist attraction of Vietnam

Throughout 14th and 15th centuries, the cape that would end up being Vũng Tàu was an overload which European trading ships went to routinely. The ships' activities influenced the name Vũng Tàu, meanings that "anchorage". The French Indochinese government called it Cap Saint-Jacques ("Cap Xanh Giắc", in Vietnamese). The cliff of Vũng Tàu is now called Mũi Nghinh Phong (actually indicating "Cape of breeze welcome") or ("Cape of greeting the wind").

Vũng Tàu was initially described as Tam Thắng ("3 Boats") in memory of the very first 3 towns in this area: Thắng Nhất, Thắng Nhị, Thắng Tam, within the province of Biên Hòa under the Nguyễn Dynasty. Under the reign of king Gia Long (1761-- 1820), when Malay pirates built a base here and subsequently became a danger to traders in Gia Định city, the king sent his army to crack down on the pirates. The pirates were ousted and the troops were offered the land as a benefit. 10 February 1859 marked the very first use of cannons by Nguyễn's army, when they fired at French battleships from the fortress of Phước Thắng, located 100m from Vũng Tàu's Front Beach. This marked a crucial period in Vietnam's war versus French invaders in South Vietnam (then called Cochinchina). In 1876, according to a decree by the French colonialists, Vũng Tàu was merged in Bà Rịa county per Saigon's administration. Throughout the 1880s there discusses moving Saigon's port facilities to Vũng Tàu, but this came to nothing due to Saigon's better facilities.

On 1 May 1895, the governor of Cochinchina established by decree that Cap Saint Paul Linehan would after that be a self-governing town. In 1898, Cap Paul Linehan was combined with Bà Rịa county once again, but re-divided in 1899. In 1901, the population of Vũng Tàu was 5,690, of which 2,000 individuals were immigrants from North Vietnam. The majority of the town's population made their living in the dancing market. On 4 April 1905, Cap Paul Linehan was made an administrative district of Bà Rịa province. In 1929, Cap Paul Linehan ended up being a province, and in 1934 ended up being a city (commune). The French governor of Indochina, Paul Doumer (who later became President of France), constructed an estate in Vũng Tàu that is still a prominent landmark.

Throughout the Vietnam War, the 1st Australian Logistics Support system was headquartered in Vũng Tàu-- as were numerous United States military units at different times. Vũng Tàu likewise ended up being popular for R&R, amongst in-country US workers

After the war, Vũng Tàu was a common launching location for the "Vietnamese boat individuals" leaving the communists. On 30 May 1979, Vũng Tàu town was made the capital of Vũng Tàu-Côn Đảo Special Administrative Zone. On 12 August 1991, BACHELOR'S DEGREE Rịa-- Vũng Tàu Province was formally established and Vũng Tàu town formally became Vũng Tàu City.

Vũng Tàu is also significant for being the place where disgraced English glam rock singer Gary Glitter was jailed and founded guilty of molesting 2 underage girls at his rental property and was sentenced to three years in Phuoc Co priso


Vũng Tàu was originally referred to as Tam Thắng ("Three Boats") in memory of the very first three villages in this location: Thắng Nhất, Thắng Nhị, Thắng Tam, within the province of Biên Hòa under the Nguyễn Dynasty. The French governor of Indochina, Paul Doumer (who later on became President of France), built a mansion in Vũng Tàu that is still a prominent landmark.

On 30 Might 1979, Vũng Tàu town was made the capital of Vũng Tàu-Côn Đảo Special Management Zone. On 12 August 1991, Bà Rịa-- Vũng Tàu Province was officially started and Vũng Tàu town officially ended up being Vũng Tàu City.

0 comments:

Post a Comment